Horse Sport Ireland is pleased to join the NSPCC to promote Parents in Sport Week 2017
2nd – 8th October 2017
Parents are key to a child’s life-long involvement in sport
The NSPCC and Horse Sport Ireland have joined forces with more than 100 sports organisations in Ireland and the UK to promote Parents in Sport Week. We want our sports bodies to rally behind our efforts from October 2nd -8th 2017 to underscore the positive, supporting role that parents play. Coaches and officials can also examine their communication with parents to benefit children’s involvement in sport.
Dr Camilla Knight of Swansea University who studies parental involvement in sport says, “Parents play a critical role within youth sport. Without their support and involvement youth sport could not exist in the way it does today”.
However, we all know of ‘over-involved’ or ‘pushy’ parents which subsequently can affect a children’s experience. Through Parents in Sport Week, the NSPCC and Horse Sport Ireland are helping to change the conversation and remind everyone of the important and extremely valuable contribution parents make to our sport but only if they are engaged appropriately.
The NSPCC has produced resources for affiliates/clubs to use with parents and their own coaches. These are available at thecpsu.org.uk/parents
Through Parents in Sport Week, the NSPCC and Horse Sport Ireland hope to highlight the essential role parents have to a child’s enjoyment and success in playing sport.
Aims of Parents in Sport Week
We encourage our equestrian sports organisations and clubs to recognise and promote the positive and important role parents play in helping children reach their full potential. To do this, they can:
· Encourage sports clubs and coaches to take time to show they value parents, want parental input and are grateful for what parents can do
· Get involved in the Social Media campaign for Parents in Sport Week 2017 (Follow @TeamIRLEq and @thecpsu on Twitter and Facebook, Like, Share and Retweet!)
· Use some of the Parents In Sport Week Infographics to promote the campaign on Social Media (Download Infographics Here)
· Print off the Parents In Sport Week Poster and hang them in your centres (Attached)
· Make available copies of the Parents In Sport Week Leaflet for your equestrian Coaches and Instructors (Attached)
· Work with parents to reflect on the demands they’re encountering and then identify strategies to manage those demands
The easiest ways to show your support and share the campaign with others is to visit our Twitter feed @TeamIRLEq and @thecpsu or, during the week itself, visit the Team Ireland Equestrian and NSPCC Facebook page and like/share the infographics and other resources about the week. You can also download the sample infographics (linked above) to use on Twitter to let your followers know you’re supporting the week and share the great work you do with parents already in your sport, or to highlight the activities you’ve got planned as part of Parents in Sport Week 2017.
If you haven’t already done so, be sure to download your certificate of support for Parents In Sport Week 2017 ad let your parents, coaches and young members know you are supporting the campaign with Horse Sport Ireland and the NSPCC. (You can personalise this certificate by deleting Insert Name Here and typing in your own organisations name)
We look forward to you joining us and supporting the Parents In Sport Week campaign 2017.